A "real" vacation day

You know how people talk about all of the "rest and relaxation" that they get on vacation? That doesn't really happen to me. Marc and my vacations tend to be go go go, whether they are trips to places that we've never been before and we are trying to soak up all the sights at once, or trips back home to see family, where we are trying to make time for everyone and everything that we've missed, we don't generally do a lost of "resting" on our time off.

I wanted this trip to be different. I wanted to recharge, refresh, but still have time to see a new place. That's one of the reasons we chose Whistler. It's so beautiful here, but there's not THAT much to do that we have to be running all five days we're visiting to cram it all in. After all, there's no snow on the ground, so winter sports are out of the question, and the village is pretty tiny.

Today was REALLY relaxing. I woke up after a weird/bad dream around 6:00 and couldn't go back to sleep. I watched an episode of Friends and then read some of my book, "The Spectacular Now." Around the time I was snuggled on the little hotel room couch, watching Despicable Me, Marc was starting to wake up. "Just a nap," I promised him before I dozed off.

I woke up a couple hours later when Marc had returned (from moving the car... we found a free lot and avoided the $20 charge per night to park in the hotel garage, but you have to move the car every so often) with a grande, extra hot peppermint mocha for me from the Starbucks across the street.

We spent the afternoon in the hotel room, watching movies (Man on a Ledge, Tower Heist, 21 Jump Street) while playing card games and just hanging out. I got to do some more reading and we saved money by having homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and snacks in the room. It was so refreshing. We planned to go to this place called The Mongolie Grill for dinner, but I felt kinda gross and achy this evening, so Marc ran down and got take out pizza and brought it back to the hotel. I managed to spend the whole day in my pajamas, only taking them off to take an extra hot and long shower in the fantastic bathtub in our room.

The only downside to the day is that I think I was a little to ambitious in the use of my new acne treatment, the Clear Days Ahead kit by philosophy that I got at Sephora the day we left for Whistler. I know that I have a tendency to have sensitive skin, but I went full steam ahead, using the face wash morning and night with the am and pm treatments as recommended. The good news is, I don't have any pimples. The bad news is, my face is raw, red, itchy and kinda scaly. I've halted treatment for now, and have some Aquaphor slathered all over my face and it feels SO GOOD. Hopefully at least the texture is back to normal tomorrow so that I can cover it up with makeup and pretend to have pretty skin for our anniversary. As soon as the redness and itchiness goes away, I'll start using the products again, but nice and slow, ease myself into it and see how things go from there. If I can keep the nasty side effects away, it seems to be working.

We're off to read a little more, and keep an eye out the window for snow... it's in the forecast the rest of the time we are here. Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

Project: 100 Books in 2013

Panic Stress Dreams. So, that's fun.