The toddler tantrum tango

Most of the time, I don't miss the days when my 14 month old toddler was a newborn. We sleep now. We didn't used to sleep. Our time is primarily filled with cuddles and giggles and bubble baths. I love having a toddler. 

But man, sometimes that little monster drives me nuts. 

I have a newish friend. She works in my building. We have stuff in common. I've shared the Happy Planner love. 

We made a Michaels date for after work today. I swung by and picked up the kid, who fell asleep in the car on the way to Michaels. He was still sleeping as I made my way through the dark (thanks, daylight savings time) to a parking spot right next to the store. 

Strike one. 

I woke him up from his nap with gentle tickles, making a game out of putting his shoes on. I made my way into the store, and found my friend. She was near the Happy Planners, which is near the washi tape. 

Strike two. 

This kid loves washi tape (like mother, like son). ESPECIALLY tubes of washi tape. I let him hold one for a minute, put it back (to some minor screaming) and headed to another part of the store. He was starting to lose his mind, but still mostly just whining. 

He was growing impatient, so I put him down. 

In case you've never been to Michaels before, let me set the scene for you. The place is stuffed with glittery, glimmery, GORGEOUS breakable crap. For some reason, most of the excitingest crap is placed at exactly toddler level. There is also an unhealthy amount of glass at about two feet off the ground. 

So I picked him up. 

Strike three. 

You'd have thought I was jabbing him with a hot poker. Tears, screaming, and a floundering move I like to call "breaching whale." It was not cute. 

My newish friend and I didn't get to really hang out or talk. Next time I'll make plans to meet up without baby or somewhere he doesn't turn into a complete psycho. 

Even though I was getting so mad, I kept my cool. It was hard. I talked gently to Oliver, with absolutely no effect. I patted him softly on the back, bounced him up and down, wiped his tears as I tried to lighten the mood with a joke about putting him on the clearance rack. The cashier gave me an amused snort for my effort. 

We left the store, Oliver still screaming, me still making my fruitless attempts to calm him down. My friend and I said goodbye. I buckled the baby, covered him with his blanket, gave him a book and a kiss, and wiped his tears one last time. He fell asleep again while we went to pick up Marc. He's whining now (daddy is on duty) but I'm refreshed and calm (and looking forward to black bean nachos). I can't wait to get back out there and snuggle him, and kiss his little face. After all, it's hard being a toddler. 

A moment from this morning, a calmer time: 


Disclaimer: I know excitingest isn't a word but I don't care. My phone is also telling me that glimmery isn't a word, but it's not the boss of me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

So long, 2010!

Pining and Pinning