I feel like a big kid journalist.

Today was an exhausting, wonderful day.

When I first met my friend Melissa on Twitter, I found somebody who shared a love of Harry Potter, writing and music. Meeting her has been one of my best social media experiences so far, because (through Twitter), I found out that the online music magazine that she writes for (and turns out, actually RUNS) wanted to hire more journalists. I applied and submit a writing sample, and was welcomed onto the team!

Since then, I have had the opportunity to review new albums, interview bands and artists and do what I love... write about music. It hasn't always been easy; working a (more than) full time job in "real life" and then making time to sit at the computer after a 8-10 hour day at work to write about music. But I stuck with it and I'm so glad.

Today, an e-mail interview that I did with DJ Ashba (lead guitarist for Sixx A.M. and Guns N' Roses) exploded with page hits (thanks in large part to the promotion by Ashba himself and his team). It was so thrilling to have so many people be exposed to something that I did. Even better, Ashba isn't just your average rock star, but the interview focused a lot on his anti-bullying campaign with www.bullyville.com.

Already feeling pretty good about THAT little piece of news, I had my first in-person interview in over two years this afternoon with one of the singer/songwriters for Seattle-based Pollens. I won't give away too much because my interview will be posted soon on Confront Magazine and you can read all about it there, but it was such a wonderful experience. She was adorable and sweet and easy to talk to. I left the interview feeling so excited about what I am doing, even if it is just an unpaid side job, and so happy to be able to be the vessel that introduces as many people as possible to the bands and artists that I feel passionate about, and who I feel deserve to be heard.

Since the bills need to be paid and work needs to be done, I went into work this morning at 5:30 so that I could get caught up on some things. I just woke up from the most amazing nap, and I can't wait to spend the rest of the weekend reading, writing and listening to and discovering new and amazing music... oh, and making official, big kid freelance journalist business cards.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody!

P.S. You should all go listen to Pollens. I LOVE THEM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

Project: 100 Books in 2013

Panic Stress Dreams. So, that's fun.