Christmas + Boxing Day = Fantastic weekend

Christmas this year was... weird.

It was wonderful, and so many of the crucial elements were there: presents, 24 hours of A Christmas Story on the TV, a cozy fire in the fireplace, traditional McClain Christmas foods for dinner.

Like the Grinch himself says, maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!

What was really missing this year for Christmas was the people. It felt so odd for Marc and I to sit alone next to our tree and open presents. Most years, at my parents' house, there are six or seven of us crowded into the living room, doling out gifts.

This is why people have children. Christmas is lonely without them.

I did get to participate in McClain Family Christmas... kinda. Lyndsey called me bright and early (Washington time) and set up the webcam so that I could watch while my parents and siblings opened their gifts. Jared showed off his Christmas pajamas... which actually fit this year. Since he's nearly 6'4", this is an amazing feat on my mother's part. Jacob modeled all of the different hats he got, and Lyndsey made me nauseated Blair Witch style by spinning the computer to accomodate each member of the family.

After we were done "hanging out" with the family, Marc and I went back to bed and didn't get up until after 11:30. This is very odd for me, as I'm usually the one up earliest to open presents.

I guess we should appreciate our child-free years and sleep in on Christmas day while we still can.

This year, Christmas was very relaxing. Marc and I made breakfast... pancakes and hash browns and mimosas. Then, we watched A Christmas Story while we opened our presents, and took nice long naps after watching Four Christmases. A late morning meant a late dinner, and I finally finished with the food around 8:30. We watched a marathon of one of my favorite Travel Channel shows, Man vs. Food, and went to bed. It was a nice day, but a little too quiet for my liking.

This morning, we slept in (again) and then decided to test out the Sound Transit system to get to Seattle. We rode the bus, which was awesome! It cost us less to get to Seattle and back than we would have paid in parking for a few short hours at the Market. Once we got to the city, we walked around, revisiting the Market and finding new places to explore.

I discovered a new bookstore, called Left Bank Books, which I could spend hours in, despite its minuscule size. We had lunch at Qdoba, which my sister raves about, but I had never been to. It was delicious, but gave me a bit of a tummy ache (boo!). We walked along Fifth Avenue and got some great after Christmas deals at Urban Outfitters, including the Charlie Brown Christmas tree that I have been lusting after for years, on sale for just $5!

I absolutely love the city and can't wait to go back... there are so many things that we still haven't done yet. Next trip, I definitely want to try either the Seattle aquarium (perched on a pier near the Market) or the Space Needle!

Off to enjoy the cozy fire the Marc is building for me, and eat some leftover Christmas dinner food. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas weekend. Tomorrow... job applications. Ick!

My Charlie Brown tree :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

Project: 100 Books in 2013

Panic Stress Dreams. So, that's fun.