The Backstory... Act I: The Wedding

Marc and I got married exactly two years to the day he proposed. Romantic, eh? Anyway, that gave us a lot of time to plan, and a lot of time to look forward to "the big day."
Funny how two years can run out so quickly and drag out so long at the same time. Somehow, being the perpetual procrastinator that I am, I was writing our ceremony the week of the wedding. And somehow, SOMEHOW, there were little things that didn't get done. I can't remember what they are now, seven weeks later, so obviously they weren't that important, but there were definitely things that didn't get done.

Nearly everything was perfect.

My dress fit. This was nothing short of a miracle... a miracle, and the amazing skills of a seamstress who earned every penny of the $300 I coughed up for alterations. You see, I wanted to go dress shopping with my Mom and sister... and between family schedules, my sister's school, my school, and everything else going on in life, I ended up flying to Georgia to go dress shopping in September. For those of you who haven't planned a wedding before, it is absolutely insane to wait until two months before the wedding to find a dress.

Since it was such short notice, I had to find a dress off the rack. And, well, I have big boobs. So, that presented a problem. Doesn't it always? I ended up with a dress (a beautiful dress) that was nearly three sizes too big most places, but kinda fit in the boobs. The lady at the store goes, "Yeah, yeah! You can lose another 20 pounds, 30 pounds and they will still be able to take it in!" Well, that's fantastic!

I got home, started dieting a little more hardcore, and went and saw my seamstress about a month before the wedding. I took the dress, tried it on, and told her I had been losing weight. She said that I could wait another two weeks to come back in, lose as much weight as I could and then she would fix it all up for me.

Skip to a week later, me nearly in tears, because I'm back at the seamstress' shop, and she's telling me that there is nothing they can do for the dress, that it's simply too big and to take out that much material, they would totally ruin the dress. It just can't be done. I had only lost 2 pounds! Um... excuse me?

One panic attack later, I'm whisked out of the shop, assured that "everything will be fine, just fine." Five more visits to the shop the week before the wedding, and the dress was finally finished. And it fit! Stress can kill a bride.

Other than that, everything that was necessary got done. My schoolwork that was due the week of the wedding all got taken care of (including a very brief pop into my ethics class the day before the wedding to practice for the ethics bowl that was happening the following weekend). My family made it down to Florida from Georgia, and I got to visit with the kids and take them to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter a few days before the wedding.

Unfortunately, due to a death in the family, one of my bridesmaids, and her son, my ring bearer, couldn't make it down for the wedding, but they were there in spirit, and we got to see them on the way to Washington the next month.

I did forget the ties for the groomsmen at the hotel room as we were leaving (40 minutes late) for the ceremony, but thanks to a very entertaining Chinese fire drill involving my Dad jumping out of the driver's seat at a stop light and forcing himself into the car behind us to turn around and go back, the ties made it to the ceremony right on time.

Really, the only thing that really went wrong, was completely and entirely my fault. I hate the heat. (Honestly, this is the main reason I live in Washington right now. It's a beautiful 49 degrees right now, which is very Christmas Eve-y, compared to St. Petersburg's icky sunny 64.)

Weeks before the wedding, it was warm. Balmy. Hot. Sticky. Humid. Absolutely disgusting.

I wished, hoped, prayed that the weather would cool down for the wedding. I really didn't want to sweat in my wedding dress. How pretty would my pictures be, my face all shiny, sweat messing up my makeup? I think not.

Days before the wedding, it was still hot. Very un-fallish. So, I wished harder.

Wedding day: FREEZING.

No, really. I have pictures of my wedding guests wearing hoodies, down jackets, beanies. I myself bought a sweater at Target that morning that I wore over my dress for the entire reception. During the ceremony, I swear I could hear the chattering teeth of by poor bridesmaids, in their adorable little knee-length dresses, as the wind swept over the ocean and onto their goosebump-ridden skin. The worst part about the cold is that many of our guests left early, unable to take the wind whipping through our outdoor pavilion.

Damn you, unpredictable Florida weather.

Those who stayed until the end of the night had a great time, though. We danced and laughed, and nearly forgot to sign the marriage certificate. My silly Daddy called out, "last chance to back out!" as we got all of the official paperwork in order. People and their wedding jokes... I swear! Tired as we were, we had to take one of Marc's groomsmen, John, back to his car, since both his ride AND his backup ride had left early.

I'm glad they did. My sister tagged along with us to take him, and we all ended up at Steak 'n Shake until the wee hours of the morning, talking and catching up (he moved to South Carolina earlier this year), having milkshakes... all of us still dressed up in our wedding garb.

After we dropped off John, hung out with the family a little bit, Marc and I went up to our hotel room (generously provided by my lovely parents) to open presents and cards! (I'm never too tired for presents.)

The following morning, we had breakfast with my parents and then headed out to Orlando for our "mini-moon." We both had to be back to work on Tuesday, and I had school as well, so a few days in Orlando was all we could do. It was wonderful, though. We went to Downtown Disney for shopping and dinner. We spent a day at Universal Studios and visited The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We told everybody that we were on our honeymoon and reaped all of the benefits... free desert, singing at the Disney store, and extra goodies and upgrades at our hotel.

All in all, it was a wonderful wedding, and now I'm a very happily married Mrs. Vosburgh!

Walking with Daddy down the aisle.



Our first dance. I swear, I am wearing a wedding dress under that sweater.
Filling out the marriage certificate.
One of the more tame Steak 'n Shake pictures
Less tame Steak 'n Shake picture

John and my sister, Lyndsey. I love my little freaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

Project: 100 Books in 2013

Panic Stress Dreams. So, that's fun.