Things I learned today...

1. Slurpees are still awesome even if you are drinking one in 38 degree weather, while hiking a half a mile from the bus station back to your apartment. Another fun fact about 38 degree weather: If you walk at a brisk pace for long enough, even though you feel like your limbs are about to freeze off, you will still sweat. When you stop moving, your sweat freezes.

2. Good plans don't always work out.
Like getting up an hour early to get ready, have a nice breakfast and not feel rushed before a big day. Sometimes you oversleep. By a lot.
Another example: I took Marc to work this morning and then was supposed to head down to the bus station where I would park the car, and then catch the bus to the city. However, when I arrived at said bus station, there were NO parking spots. Ridiculous. There were even people parked in the "no parking" zones, which I considered for half a second before I realized that (thanks to the fact that I would rather be an hour early to an appointment than five minutes late, and I always leave early) I had time to take the car back to the house, change into my not cute but Washington weather-friendly sneakers, and walk to the bus stop. Which I did. This would be today's exercise #1.

3. I have found my strategy for perfect hair.
Honestly, it looked amazing today. Here's all I have to do:
1) Take a shower the night before. Blow dry bangs so they don't end up wonky.
2) Get up early. Finish blow drying rest of hair, since I didn't sleep long enough for it to dry.
3) Spend about an hour straightening hair.
4) Walk to bus stop in misty-drizzly-rainy weather.
5) Sit on bus under massive heater to re-dry hair into perfect waves.
It only takes about eight hours.

4. Seattle's city planners are funny.
My bus dropped me off at 5th and Pine. My interview was at 11th and Pine. No big deal, right? I walked, and came across 6th Street, 7th Street, 8th Street, 9th Street... Boren Ave? There were NINE named streets in between 9th and 10th. Rude. Exercise #2, uphill.

5. If I am going to visit the city, and walk around all day, I need to be more prepared.
I have one aspect of this down... I did the city-girl "wear your cozy shoes and take your cute shoes". My feet were nice and warm and my adorable little flats didn't get ruined by the rain/snow/ice/ick.
Before I take another stroll around the city by myself all day, I need to get:
1) a big, but comfortable bag to carry all my stuff in. The bag I wore today was cute, and big enough, but my shoulder is so mad at me right now, I think it's going to detach and leave me.
2) pepper spray. I felt pretty cute today. I found my "official" interview outfit. My hair looked awesome, which we already know. Apparently, some other people thought I looked nice, too. They hollered at me, and one guy followed me for a block or two.

6. Ice is evil.
It will try to kill you. And make you fall. However, trying to stay balanced while walking on solid ice while still maintaining a brisk pace is a great inner thigh workout.

7. If you are going to an interview for a news internship, know more about the news. It doesn't matter how much you already know. Know more. People will quiz you on it, and make you feel dumb.
Also, sometimes, in interviews, people don't care about YOU at all. At my interview today, I was asked one question about ME, and it was "how long have you lived in Washington?". I understand that the internship is for the "news," but don't you want to know anything about me at all? Otherwise, how can I dazzle you with my winning personality and interesting life story?

8. Bookstores always make me feel better.
After my interview, I stopped in at the Barnes and Noble I saw on my journey from the bus stop to the interview. I went inside, wrote in my journal (it feels good to write, like in the olden days, with pen and paper. You should try it), read some of Eat Pray Love, which Marc gave me for Christmas, and wandered through the aisles. I think in my job search I will see if any bookstores nearby are hiring.

What did you learn today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

Project: 100 Books in 2013

Panic Stress Dreams. So, that's fun.