Project: 100 Books in 2013



At the end of 2011, I made a resolution that nearly everybody makes: I wanted to get healthy, get in shape, and most importantly, feel more comfortable in my body.

More than 60 pounds later, I consider my New Year's resolution from last year to be a smashing success. I feel fantastic and have plans to continue getting healthier and happier.

Since I was able to stick to my resolution last year, I am overflowing with ideas (and confidence) to continue to improve my life overall in 2013. One of the things that I really want to work on is making time to do things that I enjoy. I've fallen into a pattern lately of getting up, rushing off to work, working hard and long and then coming home, mentally drained to watch TV and play on my phone until I fall asleep after a few short hours and then repeating the process.

I hate it.

So, I've made a list of things that I want to do (and not do) in 2013. One of the big ones is to spend more time reading. I love to read. It relaxes me and puts me at peace. It give me an opportunity to get lost in another world, to improve my vocabulary, to use my imagination. I don't read enough. I make excuses about being too tired, too overworked. But when I do sit down with a book, I feel immediately better.

A friend pointed out that I'd have to read a book about every three days to accomplish this goal, and I started feeling a little anxiety, which is the OPPOSITE effect I'm looking for. It does seem like a lot, but I'm sure I can read some young adult books, graphic novels and shorter books rather quickly. I also want to do some re-reading of classics and my favorites from growing up (although, I've promised Marc that I won't include re-reading Harry Potter [for the billionth time] in my list, but I can't guarantee I won't read them in between other books that I get into).

I asked friends and family for suggestions on books that I should read and was blown away with all of the responses! You guys are amazing! I've compiled a huge list of suggestions and made note of who gave them to me. I went into work yesterday and found some books sitting on my desk with no note. I couldn't figure out who they were from until the book fairy was revealed as a coworker from another department who had some good books hanging out at his desk.

Another resolution that I have for next year is to write more letters. I have a list of people who have said that they want to be pen pals, and I can't wait to talk to my pen friends about the books that they think that I will like. I feel like I will get to know people a little better after reading the books that they loved enough to suggest to me.

Since the recommendations started pouring in, I've had people ask me what others have suggested. It's a pretty good list, so I decided to just put it all here. I'll add to the list as I get more suggestions, and as I finish books, I'll post on this blog when I'm finished to let you guys know how I like the books.

Wish me luck!!

100 Books In 2013 Suggestion List:

- Blink: Malcolm Gladwell (John W.)
- War Brides (Stephanie)
- The Rory Gilmore Challenge (Hailey) (a list of books mentioned or read by Rory on The Gilmore Girls. You can find the list here.)
- The Immortals Series: Piers Anthony (Tiara)
- Everything Beautiful Began After: Simon Van Booy (Bond)
- One Day in the Life of Ian Denisovich (Anja)
- The Alchemist: Paulo Coelho (Tom)
- Genome: Matt Ridley (Tom)
- Cable and Deadpool (Tom)
- Path of the Planeswalker (Tom)
- The Language of Flowers (Lisa)
- Secret Daughter (Lisa)
- The Road (Katie M.)
- Deadly Innocence (Eric)
- Jitterbug Perfume: Tim Robbins (Kelly)
- A Prayer For Owen Meany: John Irving (Sonya)
- The Sun Also Rises: Earnest Hemingway (Sonya)
-  Little Women (Sonya)
- The Night Circus (Erin)
- The Thirteenth Tale (Erin)
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Erin)
- What I Did (Erin)
- What is the What (Erin)
- The Outlanders Series (Angel)
- Mortal Instruments Series (Angel)
- Warm Bodies (Renee)
- Anything by Jodi Picoult (Sam B.)
- Sacre Bleu: Christopher Moore (Amanda H.)
- Blue Heaven: C.J. Box (Paul)
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet: Jamie Ford (Paul)
- The Kite Runner (Stephen)
- The Art of Racing in the Rain (Stephen)
- Into the Wild (Stephen)
- The Life of Pi (Stephen)

I've got a pretty good start, don't you think. If there are any other suggestions that you can think of, definitely let me know! If you've read a book that's listed and liked it (or hated it) let me know why.

Happy reading!!

Comments

  1. Love this idea! If I wasn't in school, I would join you in your 100 books project. I'm jealous. I feel like I could probably write you a list of 100 books to read without thinking twice about it, but if you're ever in need of suggestions in a particular style you'll have to let me know! I shall be living vicariously through your reading in 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm might i suggest regencies and fairytale retellings? lately i've been reading along those lines but like you i read harry potter too in between but they don't count as i've read them over and over again i can't keep count. hahaha. oh and you've mentioned something about pen pals. i love snail mails! i'd very much like if i can be one of your pen friends :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fault In Our Stars
    Norwegian Wood
    The Little Prince
    The Best Laid Plans
    Those are some of the books I liked.
    Good luck with our quests! Doing the same thing too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 1: I CHEATED

Panic Stress Dreams. So, that's fun.